Back in 1899, Thomas Blackwood Murray along with Norman Osborne Fulton founded the Albion Motor Car Company Ltd. in Scotstoun, Glasgow. When it was first started, Albion was a Scottish automobile manufacturer and today still, they are a subsidiary under American Axle & Manufacturing and manufacture a wide variety of automotive parts.
When Albion first opened up their doors, they only had 7 employees, but by 1903, they were ready to move to a larger location; the same plant in Scotstoun that they are still using today. Producing a number of exquisite automobiles at the time, Albion had become known for its higher levels of engineering standards in the automotive industry; not just in Scotland, but the world over.
By 1930, Albion officially changed its name from Albion Motor Car Company Ltd. to Albion Motors. While they produced a number of passenger vehicles, they also managed to add a number of commercial vehicle lines to their list of automobiles.
It was in 1951 that Albion would be taken over by Leyland Motors. After this change in ownership, Albion continued to produce 2 lines of commercial vehicles, but no longer produced any passenger vehicles. The manufacturing of these two commercial lines would continue until 1980 when the production was moved to a new plant in Bathgate. After this move, Leyland dropped the Albion line only to be bought out by management and continued in production.
It was in 1998 that Albion would be purchased by the American Axle & Manufacturing Company based out of Detroit, Michigan and ever since then the plant has been producing axles and other chassis components for large trucks. Original Authors: Nick (Globel Team)
Edit Update Authors: M.A.Harris
Updated On: 29/08/2008